August 27, 2011

Cycles of war = cycles of weather?

Dia G. -- El Nino is when the sea temperatures get warmer in the tropical Pacific, which causes abnormal weather changes around the world. David Tenenbaum; the author of the article, stated that conflicts are twice as likely to occur during El Nino in the places that they’re affecting. He states that people become more aggressive in hotter weather. They found that there was an increase in fighting during hot weather periods in Africa. Also that all the fights were happening in the regions that El Nino was affecting.
I think that this article could have had more supporting evidence, but I chose this because I can relate. When I’m really hot, or sweaty or outside in the sun for a really long time I start to get grumpy. This article might not be relevant, because I’m pretty sure that all these countries that are fighting right now aren’t fighting because they’re hot. People fight just to fight sometimes, or because they’re tired of something. 


I’d have to mostly disagree with the author, because you see all these countries fighting right now, but we’re not in the middle of El Nino right now. So it makes no sense that people are relating the two things. I mean, I can imagine that it’s hot everywhere, because its VERY hot here, but I don’t think they have enough evidence to support their theories in this article.


Link:  Cycles of war = cycles of weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment