September 4, 2011

Plant develops echo to attract bats


Rachel T. -- This article is mainly about the evolution of the Marcgravia evenia, a plant that has developed a curved-shaped leaf next to the flowers which helps as a reflector of sounds. The bats that the plant is trying to attract need a lot of food supply to fulfill their energy. With these new leaves, the bats can be more efficient in finding and eating their food quotas per night. Also, the plant needs the bats to move the pollen and seeds from place to place frequently, since Marcgravia evenia grows in such low abundance. In all
this new adaptation and evolution is a mutual benefit interaction.

I thought that this article related a lot to our last unit of Biology. The adaptation of this plant just hit me right off the bat as one of the Ten Themes of Biology, as well as the interaction of the plant and the bats. I liked this article too because it gave me a little bit of insight on the world around me and I want to be more aware of the things that are occurring on the earth. The Marcgravia evenia sort of reminded me of the Venus fly trap for some reason and how they both have a part curved, even if the concave parts serve different purposes.

Link:  Plant develops echo to attract bats

No comments:

Post a Comment