August 13, 2011

Artificial lung mimics real organ's design and efficiency

Megan C. -- There are over 200 million lung diseased people all over the globe waiting for a transplant. Scientists have come up with an artificial lung, which works and is the proportions of an actual living lung. It will take years for the devise to be used in humans and made mobile. It will be able to use plain air instead of pure oxygen. As of right now, the lung must be hooked up to a machine and uses tanks of oxygen and only works for a few days. However, one day it will work just like the lungs inside of people now.

I really hope this will be able to help people, even if by the time it works I’m really old. It doesn’t interest me that much, but I’m sure to millions of people with lung disease can wait for it to be an option for them. Even though it’s not my thing, I still think it’s pretty cool that scientists are now able to recreate an organ in the human body.

No comments:

Post a Comment