August 13, 2011

'Extinct' frog was under our noses all the time

Ginger H. -- For 59 years scientest have believed that the Vegas Valley leopard frog (Lithobates fisheri) had gone extinct after it's habitat, the Las Vegas Valley was drained in 1942. But after comparing DNA samples with those of the Chiricahua leopard frog that lives only 400 kilometers away, they were the same. Already an endangered species, the Chiricahua leopard frog population is now twice as threatened. Now the people at the Las Vegas Springs Preserve have a choice to make. They are helping to restore Las Vegas Creek wetlands but don't know wither to habitat the Chiricahua leopard frog or the Vegas Valley leopard frog.


I really liked this article. For one, I knew frogs are highly endangered species but I had no idea some where even considered extinct. Also I think it's sad that a species almost died off due to human interaction versus natural selection. Again I state my opinion that life would be better off without humans. The passage was interesting and makes me want to learn more about nearly extinct frogs and how humans alter our surroundings is affecting other wildlife.


Link:  'Extinct' frog was under our noses all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment