August 13, 2011

What Steers Vampire Bats to Blood: Heat Detecting Molecules on Nose Discovered

Laura E. -- How do bats know where to tear through an animals skin with their razor-sharp teeth? Is it with their incredible eyesight? NO! Scientists have recently discovered that it's their sensitive, heat-detecting molecule covering nerve endings on their nose called "TRPV1". Since vampire bats feed on blood, it's helpful for them to have an infrared detector to help them find the circulation.It turns out that now scientist and pharmacists want to use the "TRPV1" for pain medication!


I thought the article was pretty interesting, but nothing too fascinating. I wish they talked more kinds of bats, and if they have heat sensors in their noses! But overall, it was pretty cool. I didn't know that vampire bats had specific places that they need to bite to get the proper blood, and I also didnt know that they knew how to find those specific places. I also think it's pretty darn crazy that they're now using the "TPV1" for pain medication. Next time I'm prescribed pain medication, I'm checking the label!


Link:  What Steers Vampire Bats to Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment