August 20, 2011

Butterfly Species A Master of Disguise

Julianne C. -- A certain type of butterfly, the Heliconius numata, is particularly tasty to hungry predators. So, over time, the butterfly found a way to avoid being eaten; they would mimic the wing pattern and shape of a similar but awful tasting butterfly. Over time, the wing pattern became more and more alike to the foul-tasting butterfly (Melinaea) in order to fool sharp-eyed birds and predators.  These butterflies were born mimics, which means that they can flip and change their genes to form similar DNA to the bad-tasting butterflies. These gene combinations are a sort of super gene, which enable the butterfly (Or sometimes moth) to mimic the other species as closely as possible.

I thought this article was very interesting, but some of it I already knew. It's common for animals to mimic something else in the hopes of survival, and so I wasn't surprised to see this. However, I liked how the article explained exactly how the genes worked. I hadn't exactly known before how this worked, so it was nice to find out about the DNA changing. I think it is amazing how animals can find such complex and ingenious ways to stay alive, and how they can figure it out through natural selection. I really liked this article and thought it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment