August 20, 2011

SACRED DOLPHIN ON BRINK OF EXTINCTION


Emily F. -- The Irrawaddy dolphin, is known for being scared, to all the people that live in Cambodia and Laos. The Irrawaddy Dolphin has only 85 or less individuals left, and they are only being found in Southeast Asia's Mekong River. World Wildlife Foundation has done recent counts of the dolphins, and concludes on the 85 or less. This data, has lead professionals to believe that the Irrawaddy Dolphin might die out all together, with a count of so little. Researchers say that with the low number of these dolphins, and the low survival rate of calfs, the bread is extremely close to extinction.

                When reading this article, I actually found it to be quite sad. Many animals have gone extinct, or are getting to close to becoming extinct. This article also made me wonder why the Irrawaddy dolphins going extinct? The title states that the dolphin is sacred of many people.  This made me think about why  they going instinct? Is it climate? Is it them? Or could it be us? When I started thinking about if it could be humans I thought a lot about how, yea have our boats, and other water recreational activities, but that can’t be it. Are we driving them out of their natural habitat and forcing them in to areas not suitable for them to live in for some reason? Have we ever hunted them? This article made me ask many questions to myself, and made me want to research the topic more.

No comments:

Post a Comment